Can you believe it's already almost mid-November?! I can't quite wrap my brain around it just yet. Damn! Anyway, enough stalling and let's do this.
1. We went to visit my mom down in Arkansas this weekend. And surprise! My sister and her kids came, too! My kids were just ecstatic and it was a great weekend.
My mom and I cleaned up her storage room and it now looks like a million bucks! We were fairly ruthless and threw away/donated a TON of stuff. Meanwhile, the hubby was busy out in the yard clearing out branches and running them to the Stump Dump. (Yes, that's actually a thing.) He also took everything out of the garage and sprayed it out to get it ready for the winter. The kids cleaned all three of the kayaks and then put them under the house for the winter. My sister did techy stuff on the computer (thank goodness because I hate doing that sort of thing.) All in all, it was a highly successful day!
We also had fun. We celebrated #3's 8th birthday:
The hubby and I ran 8 miles Saturday morning in PERFECT running weather:
And after brunch this morning the kids all played at a playground for a good, solid 15 minutes - even the big girls!
It was just a really nice weekend away and we all enjoyed ourselves.
2. I hit the vintage jackpot this week! Like, SCORE!
Check out my matching mid-century office chairs:
You guys, these are pristine. As in, I don't even have to upholster them! I'm even sitting in one right now and it's super comfy. I have been searching for a matching pair of these for probably a year. When I saw two matching - for only $40 each - I jumped on them!
Up until now we've had one decent plether desk chair and one uncomfortable Target rope chair. The plether was peeling and the Target chair hurt to sit in for more than 5 minutes so I couldn't be happier!
And then yesterday I dragged (yes, dragged) my mom, sister, and #2 to a Flea Market store in Bella Vista. They couldn't get out of their fast enough but the milk glass! Oh, the milk glass! I only bought two pieces but I'm totally planning to go back (BY MYSELF) in December. It was awesome.
3. I picked up a new hobby this weekend. Crocheting! I bought two crochet hooks and some yarn yesterday and I'm hooked. (Pun intended.) I made an infiniti scarf but I need another thing of yarn to finish it. And it's not bad, if I do say so myself. I'm so excited because now I'll have something to do while at swim meets. I figure I can easily talk and crochet at the same time so I'm golden. Which brings me to #4...
4. Next weekend #1 and I are heading to a swim meet in Columbia, MO. We're staying over one night so I'll definitely be able to put my new skill to work while I sit for hours at the meet. (Don't get me wrong. I love to watch her swim but I could do without the hours and hours of sitting in between events.)
5. I finished the little girls' headboards and bed skirts. I love the finished look:
I need to post a tutorial on the headboards because I took a regular, mid century headboard and then upholstered it. I love it! And I used my old trick of sewing rick-rack to an inexpensive bedskirt to make it custom. So cute. I still need to address the lamp situation (the pink trim doesn't work anymore) and add some art. But other than that, we're done!
6. We made progress on the shower this week but upon coming home tonight realized we need to start over. Womp womp. If you follow me on Instagram, you saw this:
You may think the wine was to blame, but alas, it was not. (I didn't mix the mortar - I let the hubby do that.) Anyway, when we got home tonight we checked it out and after curing, the mortar had started to crack. Not good. The hubby did some research and thinks he mixed the mortar wrong. OH well. We're starting over and doing something completely different...
We're going to use the Schluter system for the entire shower. I think it's supposed to be idiot-proof (which we need) and pretty much water proof. Our friend, Chad, told us about this system but the hubby had already installed the drain and didn't want to have to start over. Well, now we have to start over anyway, so we're going to use the new system. I'll write about it as we go along because I haven't found any posts on it so I think it could be helpful for some people.
And there you have it! Have a great week! And try to stay warm!