I didn't sit down yesterday until 5:50pm. No joke. I also failed to eat lunch. And this was all after a 7 mile (fast for me) run yesterday morning. Hence, no blogging last night. Plus, we had family movie night and #4 wanted me to cuddle with her. I couldn't let her down!
1. I'm just going to level with you here. I'm even going to throw out numbers from the scale. I know. I'm being brave here. Gutsy, even? I am 5'7" tall and my ideal weight is anything below 130 pounds. Like 129.9999 is A-OK with me. I can't tell you the last time I was there. Maybe for a day last May/June?
Then my dad died last July 3rd. I thought, "F-it", and didn't step on the scale the rest of the year. I pretty much ate what I wanted - within reason. I drank a LOT of wine. And beer. (If I'm being honest, I couldn't get to sleep without a glass of wine for months.)
I stepped on the scale about two weeks ago for the first time in 6 months. It wasn't pretty. Everything had caught up with me. I was at 139 pounds. I haven't been there since I was pregnant. (I hover around 132 - 133) Not good. I knew the scale was creeping up because I could/can see my spare tire when I put on my workout clothes. I am not a fan of myself looking like that. It's time to do something drastic.
I am going to try Whole 30 starting a week from today. That's right. 30 days of eating whole foods and nothing processed. The hardest part will be no dairy because I LOVE cheese! I love salads - but with cheese. This will mean a lot of preparing food for me because even salsa has sugar added to it! Sheesh. And no, I'm not asking my kids to do this, too. (The hubby may try but I'm not asking him to do this - it'll be purely his choice.) I will prepare the same meals as much as I can but adjust them for myself. And if necessary, I'll prepare my meals separately.
Do you know what else this means? No alcohol for 30 days. I haven't done that since I was pregnant, either! But, I need to do something. I'm not good at eating really well for longer than a week. I think doing this program will be the force I need. I just want to re-set my metabolism and clean up my act a bit. At the end of the 30 days we'll see how I feel? I'm hoping to get a little more energy back in my life. At least that's what the program promises. And if not? Well, then it's just that I lead a busy life and I get tired. But I'm guessing gluten makes me tired. We'll find out!
Wish me luck and holler if you have any questions! I found a great blog with good directions/recipes/advice. Next weekend I fully expect to take a few hours to get everything ready for the week. I'm excited and nervous!
2. The bathroom reno saga continues...we have decided we need to replace the window over the bathtub. Once upon a time it leaked and we just want to get it out of there. Plus, now the hubby has to deal with the repercussions of the leak. Meaning, he's going to have to replace some rotted 2x4s and subfloor. Not fun.
Rather than deal with those issues this past weekend, the hubby installed the shower trim (the faucet and handle) and caulked the seams. Man, that color!
I die. Love it so hard! Anyway, the shower door is another story. I can't believe how different the pricing has been! From $900 to $1900. Seriously. The moral of the story? Brushed gold is not cheap. But it is gorgeous. I'm pulling the trigger tomorrow.
3. While the hubby was dealing with the shower, I was dealing with our closet. Remember when I installed our beautiful, custom closet last year? Well, in true Suzanne fashion, I had yet to paint it. It just hung over my head for the past year and I ignored it.
Since we're installing the same flooring from the bathroom into the closet, I needed to paint everything first to avoid having to lay down a drop cloth. I bought the Critter spray gun but I've decided it is a tool that MUST be used OUTSIDE. Evidence:
It was super easy to use but not made for a small, enclosed space. I've reverted to brushing and rolling. My hair, eyebrows, and eyelashes thank me.
And do you know where the contents of our closet are located right now? Yeah, here is a visual:
Pretty much I'm dying. The mess. Oh god, the mess is awful. I want so much to get it all painted and back together but I'm a single mom again this week so I doubt I will make much (if any) progress. Sigh.
4. I did it. I spray painted this weekend and it was AWESOME! We bought #1 Ikea shelves for Christmas with the intention of painting the brackets gold. It looks just as good as I imagined. I was so happy to get everything installed to surprise her when she got back from her swim meet that was in Texas.
I'm happy to announce she was really pleased! Score.
5. Friday night we headed out to the Comets game. For those who are not from KC, they are a pro (or semi pro?) indoor soccer team. It was my first time at a game and it was really fun! The soccer was great - the footwork and speed incredible. And the other little things to keep the crowd engaged were so fun.
First, they served beer. And just any beer. Miller Lite. Gigantic sized:
After the shitty week that was last week, this was needed.
We went with another family and of course the girls had a blast sitting by their friends:
I swear #4 was there but somehow I didn't get her in a picture? Weird.
6. I mentioned #1 was in Texas this past weekend. She left Thursday morning and got back at 5:30am this morning. It was a long trip! It wasn't her best swim meet but she had so much fun so all is well. She even managed to sneak away for lunch with her aunt and uncle. I love that they were able to hang out with her for a bit:
7. Here's an extra for you. I am reading The Rosie Project. You guys, I love it. It is so awesome! It's going to be that kind of book that when it's over I will be sad because I won't have it to look forward to every night. Have you read it? You have to!
I tried to get into The Alchemist and managed to get through the first third of Unbroken. But The Rosie Project is fabulous. I think I just needed something light-hearted but with the perfect amount of character. Don, the main character, is written flawlessly. I won't go into details because I don't want to spoil it for you. But if you haven't picked it up yet, what are you waiting for?
Alas, that is all I've got for tonight. Have you read any good books lately?
Have a great week! Here's to hoping this week is better than last week.